Are flatulence, gas, diarrhea and acidity contagious?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband 71 years old has had diarrhea for 5 days. He does not have a fever, aches and pains. He is drinking fluids, like apple juice, water and Gatorade. He has gas from both ends and an acid stomach. Not much appetite. No cough or mucus. Is he contagious?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
doesn't seem to be contagious, please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns...

Please note that he is probably not contagious as there is no sign of infection, he might only be having a bout of indigestion episodes...

For now, if there's no blood in the stool, he should take Imodium three times daily to stop diarrhea together with Disflatyl every eight hours for the gases and Omeprazole 20mg once daily for the acid reflux. Make sure he drinks plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration in the meanwhile...

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee