question-icon

Are fever, muscle pain and sore throat days post exposure signs of HIV?

Posted on Tue, 1 Dec 2015
Question: Hi, I am a 21 year old female living in Tokyo Japan. 2 days ago I had unprotected sex with a Japanese man who has had 6 sexual partners prior to me. he seemed healthy despite a slight cough. Yesterday I woke up with a 102 degree fever, chills, muscle aches, and a sore throat. I went to the hospital and was prescribed antibiotics for possible tonsilitis. I am very scared and afraid that what I am experiencing could be early symptoms of HIV
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
HIV early symptoms occur after 2-4 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at the HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.

I would like to tell you that HIV infection cannot manifest so early. It usually takes 2-4 weeks for early symptoms similar to flu. What you are experiencing is common viral or bacterial infection. You can get throat swab gram staining and culture done to establish diagnosis. Complete the antibiotics treatment as advised. Eat protein rich healthy and balanced diet. Drink plenty of fluids. Take appropriate rest. As far as if you had unprotected intercourse then I would suggest you to get 4 th generation HIV ELISA test at 12 weeks for conclusive evidence to rule out HIV infection.

Hope I answered your query.
Rating and review will be appreciated.
Dr Sheetal Verma
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist