Are fever, mouth ulcers and shivering symptoms of HIV when test results negative?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I had a needle exposure in pathological lab. The very next day I got fever joint muscle pain mouth ulcer headache. I tested 35 and 77 days with rapid Hiv test it is negative. At 87 days I did Rna Pcr test.it is not detectable. Finally at 102 days I did a combo test and it is negative. My question is whether my test is appropriate and I am Hiv free. I still have mouth ulcer shivering of muscle and pain in groin area. Whether it is relayed to Hiv. I have done Hep B and C also both are negative.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your test is conclusive

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for asking.
I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Your HIV Combo test is conclusive. Most commonly used screening test for HIV is an antibody-based screening test and it conclusive in 95% at 4 weeks and in 99.9 % at 3 months. The HIV Combo test includes antibody screening and therefore your 102-day test is well past 3 months and conclusive.

HIV Combo test also includes screening for P24Ag along with anti-HIV antibody and is considered conclusive at 6 weeks. This is CDC recommendation.

Rapid HIV test is an antibody-based test and is considered conclusive only at 3 months. RNA PCR is highly sensitive and detects most of the HIV infected from as early as 9-13 days onwards after risk exposure although it is not a routine HIV screening test.

Follow-up: Are fever, mouth ulcers and shivering symptoms of HIV when test results negative? 16 hours later
Dear doctor

Thank you for your reply. Somewhere I have read that Rna pcr qualitative test is useful for 10 to 40 days after exposure. Whether at 87 days it can give true results. Else the detail result of my 4th generation test is antibody 0.06 index and antigen not detected.(Cut off value 0.25) which I took at 102 days. I still have the mouth ulcer, pain in groin area and my nerves are shivering sometimes. I am at 139 days after the syringe exposure. Could you see any possibility of Hiv 2. What are causing my symptoms? It is not going on its own. As I had Tb 10 yrs ago could it be possile that my body is not producing antibodies? After the result of 102 days I have agreed for marriage. Now the symptoms keeps me in tensed position. Should I test sperm culture for Hiv. What test I should need to diagonise my problem? Looking for your valuable input.

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You don't have HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

HIV type 2 is very rare. It is only restricted to certain regions of XXXXXXX Moreover, the Combo test includes test for both HIV type1&2. I suggest you to kindly consult a physician for these symptoms as HIV has been ruled out convincingly.