Are fever, backache, diarrhea and fatigue symptoms of flu?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in General Health
Question: My husband has run a fever of 101.5 for 3 days now. He has an achy back and diarrhea but no congestion. He has been in bed for 2days and I have never seen him so tired. (He is 70) and has always been so healthy. Is this the flu everyone is talking about? Thank you! Sharon
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably acute enterocolitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

This is probably acute enterocolitis in most cases viral and this is usually self limiting. He should just be enough hydrated and give him acetaminophen to reduce fever. He should drink more than 2.5 liters of fluids per day. If he is unable to eat or drink enough, he should go to hospital to get infusions. Also if his condition deteriorate or there is blood in stool and increasing fever, he should visit doctor. Otherwise, it can be treated at home with usual measures, tea, easy food, probiotics...

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You re welcome

Detailed Answer:
You re welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng