Are fever and sore gums symptoms of mumps?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 in Infections
Question: Hi, Mumps are going around here in XXXXXXX and I am a 47 year old with a fever, and very sore gums/teeth. I haven't read if sore gums are a symptom or not. I had a fever last night and I've been very tired. I can't tell if my face is puffy or not. I do have a few mouth cankers , Not sure if I have them, or if I'm just run down. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mumps

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned that mumps are being reported in your area and that you are experiencing sore gums and fever.

My first question to you is that have you been immunized in the past with the measles mumps and rubella vaccine? Most adults have been completely immunized against mumps and therefore less likely to contract mumps. Mumps is highly contagious and usually affects adults and children who have not received their complete immunizations.

Mumps also is a viral illness that affects the salivary glands in the mouth. They cause swelling and pain to the glands. These glands are located on the outside of your jaws. you would also notice swelling of the face on the side where the gland is affected Since the salivary glands become inflamed they no longer excrete saliva and hence cause swollen or painful gums because of the lack of saliva.

Also accompanying the swelling is dry mouth fever and chills. In males they can also get swelling of the testis

There is no treatment for mumps. Since it is a viral illness it will resolve on its own. All we can do is use Tylenol and aspirin to help with the pain and fever. You can also try biotene mouth wash which is a moisturizing type of mouthwash for people with dry mouth. You can get it over the counter.

The canker sores which is also a viral illness can be helped by the biotene and also by taking a 1/2 and 1/2 solution of diphenhydramine and Maalox. Take the solution about 15 ccs swish and spit it out. The Maalox coats the ulcer and the diphenhydramine numbs the ulcer. This may aid in healing.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T