Are fatigue and poor appetite after an open heart surgery normal?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Four weeks ago I had open heart surgery to repare a leaking Mitral valve in my heart. I have recovered pretty much as expected except for the fact that my blood pressure continues to be in the 95/65 range, and I remain very fatigued and have no appetite. Are these symptoms normal at this point?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that low blood pressure could be related to different causes:

a- Low cardiac function, such as in heart failure. I would like to review your last cardiac ultrasound for a second professional opinion.
b- Your anti-hypertensive drugs, if you are taking any. I would like to know your current medication. Can you upload the list of your actual therapy?
c- Dehydration. It is really hot and dehydration leading to low blood pressure can occur during these days.

I would recommend performing a complete blood count for anemia (which can also lead to low blood pressure) and a new cardiac ultrasound if you have not performed one after surgery, in order to examine your cardiac function.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I would be happy to review your cardiac tests as soon as you can upload them.

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri