Are eye floaters symptoms of retinal tears?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My daughter is seeing a floater like a shadow in her eye. it feels like she has something in her eye but there appear to be nothing. Is this a sign of a Retinal tear or detachment?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
possible causes, need to be assessed to rule out

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Retinal tears or detachment are possible causes of floaters but these conditions can only be diagnosed if the eye is examined.

There are other causes of floaters but serious causes such as retinal tear or detachment would need to be ruled by physical assessment of the eye.

In the vast majority of persons , neither retinal detachment or tear is present.

Other causes include: (1) changes to the vitreous humor (liquid behind the lens, filling the eye ball). These changes are common

(2)age related changes, though more common over age 40

(3)uveitis- infection /inflammation of a part of the eye called the uvea
This is in the middle of the eye.
Treatment involves the use of eye drops and dark glasses if there is pain and it worsens with light

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

(4)trauma