Are extremely itchy rashes contagious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi dr
I have broken out in a rash which I have never had before. Woke up with it this morning. It looks like an allergy, very, very itchy. Has responded quite well to Cortizone-10. Am 72 years old. I am concerned going to my son for Christmas tomorrow as his wife is in the first trimester of pregnancy and has an 18 month old little boy. I do not want to pass anything on to them. I am a trained sister so am fairly well informed, but obviously am not a dr.!! I am nearly 100% sure I am not infectious. Please advise.
Thank you
XXXX. YYYY@YYYY
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Hives i.e Urticaria. Urticaria presents as itchy welts with a surrounding red flare.
It may be an allergic reaction to some food or to food preservatives, infections (viral, bacterial, fungal, dental etc), medications, alcohol etc.
I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg or tab. Loratadine10mg o certain daily for a few days.
Topically you may apply a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion, frequently.

Follow-up: Are extremely itchy rashes contagious? 11 minutes later
The whole reason for enquiring was to find out whether it is safe to go to my family for Christmas tomorrow if my daughter in law is in her first trimester of pregnancy and has an 18 month old son.

My reason for asking was whether it is safe to go to my family tomorrow for Christmas when my daughter in law is in her first trimester of pregnancy and they have an 18 month old son??

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hives

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Hives are not infectious. There is no risk to the child. You may surely go and meet them on Christmas.
Perhaps you may upload a few images of the rash in "Reports Section" so that I may have a look.

Follow-up: Are extremely itchy rashes contagious? 5 hours later
Dr Kakkar what was bothering me more than the child was my daughter in law who is in her first trimester of pregnancy. Please could you try and get an answer to me before 9am on Christmas Day re that aspect. Unfortunately your answer went to junk mail!! It is now 2am and I only thought of looking in the junk mail now.

Thanks so much

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding hives

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I don't there is any risk to the unborn fetus or to your daughter in law either.