Are extreme fatigue and dizziness related to coughing spells?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, I have had a chest cold for about 7 days. No fever but coughing up phlegm. I am extremely fatigued and a bit dizzy is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Some viruses can last for this long or longer. Is the dizziness related to coughing spells?

Current recommendations are to not prescribe antibiotics in the first few couple of weeks of bronchitis or other respiratory infections unless a person has underlying health problems that could result in complications such as asthma, COPD, diabetes, undergoing cancer treatment, etc.

If the mucus is discolored after getting up but not throughout the day it is probably still a viral infection. But that doesn't mean it can't make you tired.

Fatigue during infection can be from your body trying to fight the infection and also from sleep being of lower quality because of the symptoms.

If your phlegm is a result of post nasal drainage, you might try an over the counter steroid nasal spray to try to stabilize the mucus membranes of the sinuses and possibly decrease the drainage that way.

If possible, try to get more sleep and rest in general right now to help your body fight this infection. Drink plenty of water, have a good diet, and if you smoke, now is the time to quit to help your body recover.

If you develop a fever, chills, discolored mucus that lasts all the time, shortness of breath, then do go in to be seen.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Please let me know if I can provide further information.