Are expired Aspirin and Anacin still effective?
About expired pain medication
Hello and welcome,
I am trying to figure out the time course of when your symptoms resolved. How long has it been since you became ill?
Some expired medications only result in them being less effective. But some medications can be quite harmful to take when expired, such as anything that has expired acetaminophen. This is the medication in Tylenol, and in some combination pain meds with narcotics. Expired acetaminophen can cause Fanconi's anemia and other problems. Without knowing what the medication was, it is hard for me to say what was going on.
If you are fully better and have no residual symptoms, then no worries, but if you still feel ill, you should definitely go in to be seen and have a complete blood count with peripheral smear, and liver enzymes checked.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis