Are excessive anger, panic attacks and weight loss symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

My wife (37) was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after pregnancy and been on medication (Levothyroxine varying doses 25mcg-75mcg-50mcg). Sometimes, she misses the medication, and as husband, I have been noticing several problems in her (weight loss, fatigue, sleepyness, withdrawn, mood swings, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, anger, aggression etc.) ever since and I was struggling to cope up. She doesn't work and I am the one supporting the family.

As you are an Endocrinologist, I would like to get expert medical advice (via email/letter or fax on letterpad with contact details) in this regard to produce as legal proof for her behavior and get specialist referral - If these symptoms are typical with hypothyroid patients (when they are on/off medication) etc. I am from XXXXXXX working in USA. I'd very much like to talk over the phone as well. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Good day XXXX,

Sorry for the delay in reply. ( time zone diference). As i explained yesterday, not all her symptoms are typical of hypothyroidism. Some of them, ( anger, aggression, panic attacks, weight loss) etc doesn't go well with symptoms of a typical case of hypothyroidism.

Hence i am doubtful of a second problem apart from hypothyroidism. This could even be a primary psychiatric problem like anxiey disorder or due to post partum depression/psychosis. When was her delivery? Months or years ago?.

Phone consultation and personal contacts are against the policy of health care magic . I would you to request the customer care to arrange for a chat instead.

I would suggest following tests for your wife.
1) CBC, ESR
2) Vitamin B12
3) 8 am serum cortisol.
4) Serum calcium, liver function test.
5) Serum electrolytes,
6) Free T4, TSH , Anti TPO, Anti TG.

This is to start with. If there are any abnormalities in the above tests, we may need further tests. I would request you to meet your PCP in person. It may be helpful to get a psychiatry/psychology referral as well.

Binu