• question-icon

Are elevated pulse around the neck after exercising signs of heart attack?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello as of last decemember I have had exerscise intolerance. any kind of exerscise including sex or masturbation, will cause me to get an elevated pulse around and I can feel it in my neck, I get tremours and panic, like a feeling of impending doom. ive had a chest ct come back normal, along with ecg,echocardiogram, and ct calcium score of zero. I will have a stress test in a week. at rest my pulse at night can be low as 58 but when I stand or walk around my pulse can go up to 105-120. I don not smoke or drink, have no high blood pressure or known diabetes. I have been diganoised with anxiety and depression,secondary to PTSD from watching my dad and grandpa die last year in may.
my questions are

1. is this likely an issue with the heart or anxiety from ptsd?
2. how likely is this a serious artyhmia, or one at all for that matter?
3 I had influenza and now I cant want very far without having muscle weakness all over and mild shortness of breath, I got over influenza about a weak ago. im 6ft,155 pounds, 21 yearold male
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

This is explained by anxiety, and is not a heart issue. Your stress test is normal, and your ECG is normal. This means you do not have an arrhythmia. Panic attacks include a feeling of palpitations, chest pain, and shortness of breath, but this is not related to an underlying problem with the heart. Panic can be treated with an SSRI antidepressants.

Flu can take several weeks to get over entirely. Muscle weakness and shortness of breath will improve with time.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Thanks for the anwser doc, but I've never had a stress test done before. Just a resting echocardiogram. I have a stress test coming up in a week
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
The stress test will show for sure that you have nothing wrong with your heart, but a normal echo and a normal EKG virtually rule out any problem already. Your symptoms are consistent with anxiety and I would pursue treatment for that.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist