Are elevated levels of certain antibodies a sign of Hashimoto's disease?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello!
I am writing about a thyroid related question. I have done various tests and it seems that my thyroid is "normal" about 2 - and my T4 levels were also normal. However, it seems that one antibody is elevated which implies Hashimotos disease. My current doctor says that I don't need to take any medicine since my thyroid results are normal but I am wondering what you think? I have hypo symptoms but I guess my doctor thinks that it is ok as long as we monitor. I would like to know thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About Hashimoto thyroiditis;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
First i would like to give you some further information regarding to Hashimoto thyroiditis.
It is an autoimmune disease, that means that your body produces some antibodies against the thyroid gland , destroying it. When more 80% of the gland is destroyed, its function is lowered, producing less thyroid hormones. This is reflected biologically with high TSH level.
At this point the hormone should be taken by mouth.
There is no treatment to prevent the destruction of the gland.
There studies that confirm the positive effect of selenium in lowering the antibodies, postponing the destruction of the thyroid gland.
You may discuss with your physician about selenium use.

Once a year you need to check the TSH level and start levothyroxine when it is over the normal levels.
Hope the information will help.

Will be a pleasure to help you in the future.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T