Are elevated Hba1c levels signs of diabetes?
You can do a glucose tolerance test
Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your questions and understand your concerns.
HbA1c if not done in a good lab may show abnormal values.
Do an oral glucose tolerance test. Do fasting blood glucose, take 75 gram of glucose powder and check blood glucose every hour for 3 hours.
If your fasting sugar is less than 100mg/dl and all the three after food blood glucose are less than 140 mg/dl, you should repeat the HbA1c in a better lab.
If HbA1c is still high you should do a continuous glucose monitoring (CGMS) to confirm you are diabetic.
Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further questions, I will be pleased to help you.
Dr Ajish TP
See detailed answer
If HbA1c levels are high it should reflect in blood sugars.
The possibilities of high HbA1c with normal blood sugars are
1. Lab error ( most common)
2.You are having high blood sugars at evenings or at times we are not doing lab tests for sugar.
3. B12 or folate deficiencies ( rare causes of high HbA1c)
So I feel you should have your HbA1c rechecked in a good lab.
Dr Ajish TP
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hba1c in anemia
- Undetectable hba1c
- False positive elevation of hba1c
- Diabetic urine test shows hba1c shows 8 increase insulin dosage
- Pre diabetes hba1c
- Hba1c normal fbs
- Hypertension diabetes tests show high hba1c sign of kidney failure
- Elevated troponin levels in diabetics
- What causes elevated hba1c levels
- Signs of diabetes signs of diabetes
- Suggest remedy for stress induced diabetes
- Does thyroid induce sudden weight gain during pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for severe cold and chronic pain in lower back
- Suggest treatment for hashimotos thyroiditis
- What does light vaginal bleeding post Mifegest kit usage indicate?
- Suggest dosage of Eltroxine with TSH level of 10
- Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism
- Suggest ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- What causes low blood sugar level?
- What causes swollen lymph nodes on neck with normal CT scan?