Are dizzy spells a side effect of botox treatment?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I had botox three weeks ago for crows feet. I started having dizzy spells about a week ago. How long will this side effect last?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not related to botox

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The dizzy spells what you are facing seems unrelated to the botox injection. In order to help you better I need a few more details from you

1. Is the dizzy spell more when you get up from lying down or sitting down position ?
2. Is it associated with ringing in the ear?
3. Did you get any cough or cold recently?
4. Are you on any medication right now?

Please get back to me , I am awaiting your reply

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 hours later
Same thing happened a year ago when I had botox done and just assumed it had to be unrelated.
I have dizziness in bed upon waking. Plus dizziness in the sitting position. Feels like i have to catch myself when sitting. Also, woozy/faint while standing. The dizziness has slightly decreased upon waking in bed a couple days ago.
I have not recentley have had a cough or cold.
I take xanax during the day.
At night i take one zolpidem and two amitripaline.
I have been doing these medications for years without problem. Only after botox has this dizziness been a problem
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Botox

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for getting back

I am sorry for the short delay in my reply. I was going through articles and inquiring with my colleagues on this. Most articles and opinions indicate that this is an extremely rare occurrence. Here are some of the suggestions

1. Giddiness was caused when Botox injections were not stored at the right temperature
2. Vaso vagal attack during the injection caused short term fall in blood pressure and giddiness.

Your symptoms are pointing towards postural hypotension ( gidoness on sitting position), even though history wise it points towards botox injection I would still like you to get an EKG followed by an ECHO cardiogram done as soon as possible to rule out cardiac causes for fall in blood pressure.

I hope I was of help, please get back to me for any further queries