Are dizziness, sweating, dehydration and bloating signs of stroke?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: woke up dizzy & sweaty & feeling dehydrated & bloated.. BP reading was 203/93. Had done CABG in 3/2011 . Had right BPPV some months back and symptoms similar. Are these symptoms of stroke that triggered BPPV . Plse inform . Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to BPPV, especially when considering the autonomic symptoms (bloating, sweating).

But, your blood pressure values are too high and impose you at a high risk for possible acute cardiac events or intracranial bleeding. It needs to be treated urgently.

I recommend going to the ER for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
- blood lab tests ( complete blood count, P CR, sedimentation rate, blood electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose)

If suspicions of stroke are raised during physical exam, a brain MRI scan may be needed.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Thanks Dr Sharka,

Had similar experience some weeks back and the bp levels went down after 1 tablet in abt 20 mins prescribed by GP. The Govt clinic here had done a hypertensive follow up panel blood test recently on 10th Feb . How could I convince them to review their findings . What woul be the normal bp levels for me at age 68.

Warmest Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

These peaks of high blood pressure are not normal for your age.

The normal blood pressure values for your age would be below 135/85 mm Hg.

These high blood pressure values could be related to physical or emotional stress, but they are still very high and can impose you to a higher risk for nose bleeding, intracranial bleeding and symptoms like dizziness, shortness of breath, etc.. Exacerbation of BPPV can lead to spikes in blood pressure as a result of loss of imbalance and also the opposite can occur (BPPV symptoms can be exacerbated by spikes in high blood pressure).

They are indicative that your blood pressure is not under control and it can make spikes time after time that can be harmful to your body.

I would recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure frequently during the day for several consequent days (usually in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax) and refer those values to your attending physician. If these values are most of the time above 135/85mm Hg, you should discuss with him the possibility of starting anti-hypertensive therapy.

Meanwhile, I would advise you to take the tablet that you took the first time, prescribed by your GP, to get better again during these episodes.

I would also recommend some lifestyle modifications which can help manage better your blood pressure:

- diet modifications (reduce salt and caffeine intake)
- a lot of physical activity (walking, aerobics, etc.)
- lose weight, especially if you are overweight.

Hope you will find these answers helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri