question-icon

Are dizziness, nausea, vomiting and spotting indicative of pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018
Question: I am on the pill, and had protected (condom) sex multiple times a day from 12/29 through 1/4. On two occasions the condom broke, but my partner did not ejaculate inside me. One time during this pill pack I forgot to take a pill (one of my sugar pills during the last week of the pack) but took it the next day when I realized. Following that pack I had my normal breakthrough bleeding from 1/9 - 1/13. This past week I have been experiencing some dizziness, nausea without vomiting, very slight breast tenderness yesterday starting experiencing slight pinkish red blood only visible when I wipe. It seems like it would be too late to be implantation bleeding but I have never bled mid cycle before while on the pill and I have been so stressed out about these symptoms the past week. The last test I took this morning was negative but I feel as though that was too early to test especially now with the bleeding. I am still bleeding this morning but still it is only noticeable when I wipe. What is the likelihood I may be pregnant and when could I test as it is now 3 weeks post the last date of intercourse.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not due to pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
You had a normal period after having intercourse. Missing a sugar pill does not decrease the efficacy of the pill. You were protected against pregnancy when you had sex. Pregnancy is not likely. The mild spotting that you are having now can be a mid cycle bleeding due to the pill. No need to worry. This will gradually stop on its own in next few days. The symptoms that you are having can also be due to the side effect of the pill.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal (5 minutes later)
Even though my breasts are still tender and I have lower back tightness? I’ve never experienced lower back tightness before.

When will I be able to confirm a negative test result?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy is ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A negative pregnancy test 20 days after intercourse rules out the pregnancy. You can further confirm this after a blood test. The lower back tightness can be due to a muscle spasm. Hot compress and rest can help.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN