Are difficulty in breathing and cough signs of COPD?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have been sick since November, I got what I thought to be a cold and 2 months later my lungs are still heavy, I have shortness of breath, I over use my emergency inhaler and the entire time I've gotten sick again 3 times and have had laryngitis for 2 months. A few years back my doctor mentioned I may have COPD, she put me on dulera and continued my Albuterol. Note, my mom died from COPD in 2015 at age 65. I'm just concerned this isn't a typical bout of bronchitis as I have been used to since childhood. Question, should I see a specialist right away?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you should consult a pulmonologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HealthcareMagic

According to the history you provide yes in my opinion you should see a specialist pulmonologist for detecting of this is COPD or not.

Usually the diagnosis is made by Spirometry test with bronchodilatators which if its positive than we can say it is COPD .

The next step is its grading and after the correct treatment according to the grading and the frequency of your symptoms.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above.

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda