Are dental implants safe?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 31 May 2017 in General Health
Question: Having dental implant surgery in morning. What do I need to worry about. It'll be 4 months until I get the crown. What's it like with only a post?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a safe procedure!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the issues you have with your tooth. Dental implant surgery is very safe. In rare cases, persons might have infections, bleed or experience significant pains. However, serious measures are taken to make sure these are well taken care of.

It is normal to allow just the roots in place to ensure appropriate healing and fixation to the bones. Therefore, the 4months would be to allow for this. There is really no reason to get worried about it. Generally, I will recommend that you don't eat after midnight to allow the stomach empty during procedure. This is very necessary to ease anesthesia and reduce the risk.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to further follow up with me if need be. Keep me posted on how your procedure went.