question-icon

Are delayed periods indicative of pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
Question: Hi there my cycles usually range from 32-36 days and its consistant i know it is a longer cycle than normal 28 days but ive been this way since i got my priod as a teenage girl and i have never missed a period. last month i got my period on December 31 that lasted 7 days and that cycle came early for me wich was on day 29 .... Now i am on day 33 and i still have not gotten my period... i usually know ill get my period when my breast get sore the week or two before... but they are not sore yet... please help? i am concerned. I have not had sexual intervouce but i have had oral and have been fingered is there any possibilyt of of pregnancy ... or is something wrong with me... i also have changed my diet to more healthy i dont eat any dairy please help
Answered by Dr. Dr. Richa Agarwal (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Due to hormonal imbalance.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
As you are having prolonged menstrual cycle before also,it can be a normal delay in your case.
It could be due to hormonal imbalance but if by any means if semen goes inside the vagina,it can be due to pregnancy ( though the chances are almost nil).
Get your blood test( Hb),thyroid profile and pelvic ultrasound to rule out the cause.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Dr. Richa Agarwal (25 hours later)
ive had this stinging sensation and itchy sensation in vagina openeing area close to the lower part of the vagina.. why is that? I never have had sexual intercourse but i have had oral sex ... i am scared that it might go away. please help! will it go away? it does not feel painful to pee ... i noticed the last time i have gotten fingered i had a slight bleeding the next day and a few very minor cuts that bleed if i wipe rough . its not much blood at all but it seems liek the skin has some irritation ... I also am waiting for my period to come its day 33 of my cycle and i usually get my period 32-36 days normally. please help me
Answered by Dr. Dr. Richa Agarwal (16 hours later)
Brief Answer:
These symptoms are suggested of vaginal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for such a long delay in my response.
These symptoms are most likely due to vaginal infection ( Vaginitis) caused by fungal or bacterial infection.
For this you can take antibiotics and antifungal after consulting your treating doctor as they are the prescription drugs.
Keep the area dry and clean.
Use cotton undergarments.
Use Betadine liquid to clean the area

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Richa Agarwal, OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dr. Richa Agarwal

OB & GYN Specialist