Are dazed feeling and focusing difficulty after minor stroke indicative of TIA?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Stroke
Question: I had a minie stroke while driving. Pulled over with a dazed feeling and unable to focus mentally . This feeling lasted for 30 minutes.
I had an exam later and told it was a TIA or something similar sounding. What does TIA's correct name.
I have to show my ignorance every time an MD or dentist wants an history of my illnesses. I am male in reasonably healthy, age of 72
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
transient ischemic attack

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

TIA stands for transient ischemic attack is a short episode of dysfunction (abnormal function ) of the nervous system due to temporary decrease in blood supply to an area in the brain- XXXXXXX stroke

IN a full blown stroke, the reduction blood supply causes an area of the brain to die off (infarction) or stops working.

In an TIA, the blood is reduced temporarily but then improves, no area dies off (infarcts).

There is a risk of a full blown stroke after a TIA but this risk can be reduced by :(1) controlling your blood pressure if this is a problem
(2)controlling cholesterol
(3)smoking cessation if this is a problem
(4)diabetes control if this is an problem

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James