Are cursing, refusing to obey and talking to oneself signs of schizophrenia?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 in Child Health
Question: Does it a sign of schizophrenia if a kid talks by himself, cursed and even refuses to obey when someone ask or do form him?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are other causes also

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

If a kid refuses to talk, refuses to obey parents and talk to self then to some extent we can consider the behavior normal. But if the behavior occur persistently then it could be due to

- Autism: Kids don't interact much and remain confined to there activities. They talk with self and it appears that they are not listening to parents. But poor social interaction, lack of language is main presenting feature.

- Such Behavior if associated with increased activities, inattention impulsivity then it could be due to ADD or attention deficit disorder. They don't listen to parents and refuses to follow orders. Even talk to self.

- Such symptoms can occur in schizophrenia but main presenting feature is fear and child remain confined to self. Self talking can be a feature but more detailed evaluation is needed to diagnose schizophrenia in child. Hallucinatory Behavior can be seen in such children. Due to hallucinations mainly auditory they appear to talk to self. But refusal to obey is not main feature.

- One other possibility is some mood disorder. Poor interaction, talking to self, cursed etc symptoms can occur due to underlying depression. Due to depression they appear not to listen parents.

- Conduct disorder is other possibility.

So at the end such symptoms can occur in a number of disorders but detailed evaluation and more symptoms are needed to make diagnosis. Please explain his symptoms in follow up question in more detail so that we can move further.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D