question-icon

Are cough and throat infection post intercourse signs of HIV?

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: Dear Doc,

One week back I went for a massage service. I gave some tips to the lady and asked for some extra services. She was fondling me and I got errected. I was lying with closed eyes. She gave some passionate smooch. She went on top of me and suddenly inserted my penis into her vagina. Just for 1 or 2 seconds it was inside. I realized and removed it. Then I told her no need without condom and she did hand job and ejaculated. She told me she is clean and have no disease. Should I check for any STD. I am having light cough and throat infection. No fever till now. What all symptoms I should monitor carefully in me. Should I check for HIV. I inspected her body and vaginal area. Could not find any rash or sores. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No risk of HIV or other STDs.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your question and understand the concerns you are worried about. Being your physician will try to solve them at the earliest.

You had unprotected insertion into the vagina of women with unknown status only for few seconds then the chances of getting HIV or other STDs from such exposure are very rare even if she had HIV or any other STD so don't worry.

She told that she was clean and had no disease but you don't want to believe then you can get tested for HIV and other STDs just to relieve your anxiety and fear because the risk is very unlikely in your case.

Cough and throat infection is mostly due to seasonal change or common viral infection. Consult your local physician and follow the treatment regime for the same. Do warm water gargles and take steam inhalation. Hope this info will help you but for any further query you can get back to me any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist