• question-icon

Are continuous moving, snoring and jerking while sleeping signs of sleep apnea?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I think my partner has sleep apnea. He moves practically continuinly while he sleeps. Stops breathing, grinds his teeth, snores and jerks awake or wakes often while sleeping. He is practically always tired throughout the day. I was wondering since he is not properly diagnosed is there anything here at home we could do or he could eat to help him sleep better or help out with this. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
kindly read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I would like to know some more about your husband as following.
1. Age, height and weight.
2. Is he a smoker?
3. History of diabetes or hypertension?
Kindly answer me these questions.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Hello again, thanks for getting back to me
He is 28, 178 and last he checked 120kgs. As far as smoking goes he is 13weeks and 2 days smokefree. He has not been diagnosed with either diabetes or hypertension yet has not been check for either as hasn't felt a need. last doc visit was about 8mnths ago when he had strepthroat.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
weight reduction needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for following up with me.
Thank you for replying my queries.
There lies the answer to your question in your reply.
Sleep apnea has 3 major contributors-
1. Male sex
2. Obesity
3. Smoking
Obesity plays the most important part. As fat increases it gets deposited in soft structures around neck region. So when sleeping the muscles control is lost and as the structures around wind pipe are already bulked up because of fat, they tend to obstruct the airway and cause apnea.
So most important treatment for this is to reduce weight. His height is 178 and weight nearly 120kg. His weight should be around 80kgs. So nearly he need to loose 40kgs.
Reducing weight should be goal treatment for him.
But till he achieve that he can try sleeping on one side and not on back as supine position causes tongue and other soft structures to fall on pharynx and choke. So sleeping on any one side is advisable.
There are currently no medications or diet for sleep apnea.
There is ultimate method of using bipap machine ie. A device which forcefully pushes air in mouth during sleep. But due to his young age it is not advisable as he can work hard and lose weight.
Weight reduction will also help him to cut down other risk factors for diabetes and hypertension and heart diseases. So I feel that is the best remedy for him for now.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 5 hours later
Thankyou very much. You have given an amazing amount of info and I am over the moon with your reply. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are very much welcome.
You can close the thread and leave a review for me if you like.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Abhijit Sonawane