Are cold, chills, cough and runny nose indicative of cancer?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: for the past month I have had no energy I thought that maybe it was because I am a cna and have a hard job. but I have been off work for week due to having conjunctivitis and I still have no energy despite having lots of sleep. I don't want to do anything and now I am having cold chills cough and runny nose. I am worried this fatigue could be, caused by cancer.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 4 hours later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Brief Answer:
Cancer is unlikely. Anemia and Thyroid issues to be ruled out

I have worked through your attached query in detail

The possibility of cancer in view of your symptoms is extremely low considering your age.

In view of perceived low energy levels and easy fatiguability it's advisable to consider complete blood counts and Thyroid profile testing.

Likewise your current symptoms of cold may suggest a possible viral Upper respiratory tract infection. This requires a short course of oral antibiotics. I generally prescribe oral pills of Amoxyclav and Levocetrizine to my patients with such symptoms.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

Review with reports to determine further course of action.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D