Are clicking sound in the ear and heart arrhythmia associated with prostate cancer?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a faint clicking in my left ear and some heart arythmia. I have prostate cancer but the doctors at Johns XXXXXXX tell me
the probability is 97% that it will never have any effect on my life
style.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

The clicking in your ear is not related to the cardiac arrhythmia or prostate cancer.

It could be related to an inner ear disorder or any metabolic disorders (chronic anemia, thyroid gland dysfunction, etc.).

For this reason, I would recommend consulting first with an ENT specialist to exclude an inner ear disorder.

Other tests to consider, especially considering the fact that you have cardiac arrhythmia are:

- complete blood count for anemia
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time and investigate for the type of cardiac arrhythmia
- blood electrolytes
- thyroid hormone levels.

It is also necessary to closely monitor your blood pressure values. Blood pressure fluctuations may lead to persistent ear noise.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri