Are chills and hot flashes symptoms of menopause?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi hope you can help me,
I have fatty liver and my last scan (7/2/17) said that I also had a mildly enlarged sleen . My doctor wasn't worried but I did have a blood test. HB 145/ XXXXXXX 195/Wcc 9.2/ Neur 7.2/ lym 1.6. Doctor said all fine we will have another U/S in a year.
I don't know if I'm still in manapause I keep getting hot flushes every once in a while. Also get chills every once in a while. I don't sleep much . Some one today told me that it could be my liver causing this. My question is just that is it or is it menapause (55y) or lack of sleep. Please help .
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chills and hot flashes both commonly seen with menopause

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Hot flashes and chills are both seen with menopause, and I do believe these symptoms of yours are due to your menopause.

As for the fatty liver, this can occur with age and a poor diet (mainly fatty). Mild-moderate fatty liver can be controlled with dietary changes and an increase in physical activity. This is the reason why your doctor was not worried about this as it is seen in majority of the elderly population.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 40 minutes later
Thank you for you response it really helped.
I just want to clarify that the chills and hot flashes are due to menapause and not my liver. When that person told me I panicked. Also the spleen is mildly enlarged (15.2) because of the fatty liver?
Now I get why my doctor wasn't worried. I googled and got all these form of cancers.
Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you once again for you kind help.
The doctor only did blood test and will review with another scan in 12 months.
Thank you once again
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later

Brief Answer:
Not to worry about cancer at all ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes, the hot flashes and chills are due to your menopause, and not due to your liver.

The spleen could be enlarged due to your liver or a few other factors, but if your doctor has conducted an elaborate evaluation and found not other abnormality, then the spleen could have been enlarged due to your liver itself.

No, do not worry about cancer at all.

Best wishes.

Brief Answer:
My pleasure entirely ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You are always welcome.

Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana