Are bumps near the anal fissure indicative of an anal abscess?

Gastroenterologist
Question

31 year old male. I have a chronic anal fissure which has flared up. I put ditliazem on it, and I felt a little pea sized bump near the fissure. I am trying to figure out of it is an anal abscess or sentinel pile. This is the 2nd day of this...I am essentially pain free when i stand up, and I exercised at the gym with no problem. However, it does hurt to sit down, and pain comes on most a little bit after a bowel movement. It feels fine when I am on my feet. Other than that I feel fine.
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clinical examination should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Firstly i would recommend you to visit a general surgeon or gastroenterologist and get it examined physically it could either be a hemorrhoid or a subcutaneous cyst or abscess.However abscess is usually associated with lots of pain and temperature around the area surrounding abcess is usually warm.Chances of it being a sentinel hemorrhoid are more .However things could be clear only after clinical examination of the growth.
Otherwise click a high resolution photo and try to attach with follow up.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!

Follow-up: Are bumps near the anal fissure indicative of an anal abscess? 13 minutes later
I can't attach a photo as it cannot be seen, but only felt on the fissure when applying the cream as it is on the inside of the rectum. The bump is right where the chronic fissure is....perhaps it's a Hypertrophied anal papillae? Again, pain is not that bad after a few days, and it is right where the fissure is...this does not sound like an abscess to you?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my der patient,
Abscess are usually very painful and therefore i dont feel its abscess.
As its inside rectum chances are there that it could be a hemorrhoid.
Hypertrophied anal papillaes are very rare.
I would suggest you to thing of comon possibility first.
Hope you can understand that i can’t clinically examine you so my suggestion depends on just what i feel after going through your narration.
Regards!