Are breathlessness and chest pain indicative of heart issues?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: I have been having some problems for a couple months now and I’m worried that I might have a heart issue. I had the flu in January and was coughing soo bad I thought I cracked a rib on my left side under my arm. Went to the dr. and no break. I have had continued pain in my chest and around my left side and my arm I also have shortness of breath just sitting! Or walking upstairs. Some days are better than others but I just don’t feel right. I am a diabetic and I control it with diet and exercise but I’m also bipolar and one of my recent meds made me gain weight and I also stopped working out. I don’t want to worry my husband but the longer this goes on the more I want to know if it might be my heart? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Do an EKG!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your question fully. This is not so suggestive of heart disease but your shortness of breath even at rest is something to explore further.

Shortness of breath often points to problems with the heart, lungs or low haemoglobin (Anemia). It will be necessary to do a basic set of tests to see if there is anything among these to be concerned about.

I will recommend that you do a complete blood count, Basic Metabolic Panel, a chest X-ray and an EKG. These would allow us to appreciate the state and functionality of these important organs.

Findings will help us identify what the cause of your symptoms is and streamline a plan for you.

I hope this guides and helps. I await updates from you with these results. More advice would be provided once we gather more information from these exams.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist