Are botox injections in arthritic knee safe?
It is safe but effectiveness not established.
Thanks for your query.
I'm Dr. Sudhir Kumar,
After going through your query I want to to say that botox injection is trial stage . So far, participants in various studies have reported improvement in arthritis pain and function after Botox injections. Botulinum toxin works by blocking the transmission of certain chemical signals that relay information between nerves and the brain. Local joint treatment with Botox injections could replace oral medications that carry the risk of systemic side effects, and Botox injections may negate or delay the need for joint surgery. Much more research will be needed to determine the most effective and safe dose of Botox for the joint injections and the most appropriate dosing intervals.But personally I think it is safe but its effectiveness is not well established.You can discuss with your treating Doctor about it.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How safe are botox injections for cosmetic reasons
- Botox injections for eyes
- Botox injections for migraines procedure
- Botox injection sites for migraine
- Turkey neck and botox injection
- Botox injections for costochondritis
- Is botox injection safe if given for deltoid muscle
- Botox injections under eye
- Botox injections for plantar fasciitis
- Botox injections in the stomach
- Suggest treatment for knee pain
- Suggest treatment for Bakers cyst
- What does my MRI scan report suggest?
- What causes swollen red area on knuckle after an injury?
- Suggest treatment for lower back spasms
- What causes tightness in both feet right behind the toes?
- What does "increased vascular markings in the cuboid bone" indicate?
- What causes sudden pain in foot and toe?
- What causes severe pain on the knees and swollen feet?
- Suggest treatment for pain in thighs post dancing classes