Are blood tests effective at detecting hepatitis B?
Can detect past resolved infection.
Hep B results in certain reactions in the body. It causes the production of certain antibodies.
Antibodies are part of the body's immune response to any infection.
In addition to these antibodies, certain proteins called antigens are also present.
The type of antigen and antibody that are found on blood test for hep B vary according to whether a person had a recent infection, was infected a long time ago and active, infected a time ago and infection resolved or had received a vaccine.
In a person with past infection that resolved and with no ongoing problems.
According to the CDC, the following would be seen- HBsAg negative or not seen(this is an antigen called hepatitis surface antigen), Anti HB c and anti HB s positive (these are antibodies that would be found).
In a person with a recent infection or chronic infection or vaccination- different results would be seen.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hepatitis b profile test
- Hepatitis b blood in stool
- Hepatitis b test
- Can complete blood count detect hepatitis b
- Hepatitis b blood test interpretation
- Effects of hepatitis b and hyperthyroid
- Blood test for hepatitis b
- Hepatitis b blood test results
- Effect of hcg on hepatitis b
- Hepatitis b test interpretation
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?