question-icon

Are blood sugar levels of 200 require medical attention?

Posted on Sun, 14 Oct 2018
Question: I have type II diabetes. I see a doctor and she has prescribed the following oral medications. Glyxambi (25/5 mg) one tab morning. Metformin Hcl Er (500 mg) one tab twice daily w/meal. Additionally, I am taking Vascepa 1 gram capsules. Two capsules twice daily w/meals.

My blood tests every morning reveal a reading of 174 to 193 normally. The median being around 176. Sometimes a bit higher if I am not careful about what I eat.

I have asked my doctor, several times, whether my readings are too high. She doesn't be too concerned. I am told my readings should be much lower, perhaps 140.

The question being, is a blood reading of 200 a level to be concerned about? Should my metformin be increased? My body tolerates metformin poorly as it is. Increasing dosage seems to me to be counterproductive if it makes me ill and does not significantly lower my blood sugar level.

What is your opinion of my current blood sugar levels? And what is the lowest level of blood sugar consistant with probable body damage? If I can hold the blood sugar level to under 200, is it probable that it will not endanger my health?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

It not within the range but at the same time it is not too high.

Detailed Answer:

Hello

Actualy,Your blood sugar results are not good.(this is my opinion).

This means that you need to be more careful with the diet and to do more physical activities(if ther are have not contraindications.)

A blood reading of 200 is not a very high level,don't worry.But at the same time it is not XXXXXXX especially if this is a fasting result.

In my opinion you should not increase the dosage of metformin,to stabilise your diabetes numbers.You may need to increase the dosage of Glyxambi and at the same time to start a good diabetes meal plan.

Glyxambi 25/5 is a combination of 2 drugs: empagliflozin and linagliptin.
It is used with a proper diet and exercise program to control high blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes.

You should know that controlling high blood sugar helps prevent kidney damage, blindness, nerve problems, loss of limbs. Proper control of diabetes may also lessen your risk of a heart attack or stroke.

If you hold your blood sugar level to under 200, is it sure that it will not endanger my health.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Elona Xhardo, Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist