Are bitter taste in the mouth and geographic tongue due to acid reflux?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Doctor: Aside from the symptoms of acid reflux I have a very damaged tong. It started as a biter taste, but has continued with burning pain and changes in the aspect of the tongue, such as becaming plain and purple and with geographic like spots.
My email address is YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reflux disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,Thanks for query.
See when acid refluxes back from stomach into mouth it destroys the layer of soft tissue on tongue our mouth has a alkaline ph but due to reflux of acid the ph changes to acidic.This is responsible for a number of changes.

When acid from stomach refluxes back to esophagus it destroys the soft mucosal lining of esophagus and throat.As a result of this the area get inflammed and this inflammation cause pain(Referred to as heartburn).
Sour taste in mouth and other problems are also because of acid reflux.Due to disturbed ph of mouth a number of bacterias and fungus start to grow in mouth and causes geographic tongue etc.

Target-
Prevent over production of acid-Take Proton pump inhibitor like Rabeprazole 20 mg twice daily.

Reflux of acid back into mouth-Add Domperidon a prolinetic drug 30 mg once daily.This prevent reflux of acid back.

Gargle with betadine solution 15 ml thrice a day.

Follow this for 7 days and review after that.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng