Are asymmetrical pupils caused after a concussion a serious concern?

Excellent

Question
My son had a very bad concussion abt. 2 and a half wk.s ago. He got a CT scan that came out fine.
Since then, his pupils have changed several times...the latest was this morning...
Should I be concerned?
XXXX

Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What changes are you referring to precisey!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this severe concussion that your son suffered. However happy to know that the scan was clean. at least, it shows that we are on a promising path.

What exact changes are you talking about? I will like you to describe it out fully just like what you mean. Beside, is your son having any other symptoms like poor vision, headache, vomiting, light sensitivity, etc? If there are no other symptoms beside the changes you are referring to, then most likely answer is that you should not get that worried.

Hope to hear from you. Hope this at least addresses your worries. get back to me with the responses and I will make the call on whether there are reasons to get concerned or not. I wish your son well.

Follow-up: Are asymmetrical pupils caused after a concussion a serious concern? 9 minutes later
Thank you! Yes, this helps...

The changes I was referring to are his pupils going from
symmetrical to asymmetrical about four or five time since
his accident...He doesn't have any headaches or other
noticeable problems! :-)

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
With no other symptoms, asymmetrical pupils need to be declared by a XXXXXXX personnel. I have a strong feeling that you may be missing out on something or not getting the facts together correctly.

Can you please exercise some patience and stop getting worried about this. It is unlikely to have such changes with no other symptom and an intact vision.

In all, you should not be concerned. Exams and absence of symptoms are reassuring and enough to recommend that you do not get too worried.

I wish him well. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information if need be.