Are antibiotics safe during menstruation?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: i just want to know if taking antibiotic during my mentrual period has a side effect ? or i can take antibiotic during ay period?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is entirely ok to take an antibiotic during period.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It is safe to take an antibiotic during one's menstrual period.

The only side effect might be that if it is a broad spectrum antibiotic, it can increase the chance of a vaginal yeast infection. This does not happen most of the time. Some women are more prone to yeast infections after their periods are over anyway.

But this is not a reason to not take an antibiotic during menstruation. There are no contraindications to doing so.

I hope this information helps.