• question-icon

Are antibiotics necessary in the absence of infection while using an indwelling catheter?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Recently had a urinary blockage due to bph. Have a foley catheter in currently. ER gave me antibiotics to take then pcp gave me more of a different antibiotic when that one runs out. Have an appt with urologist in about a week but why all the antibiotics, this is not good for me. I have no infection and have not done well with antibiotics in the past, have not had for years, but used to cause fungus to rise up on me. Why do I need to keep on antibiotics and for how long?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics are not indicated for indwelling catheter without infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

An indwelling catheter alone is not an indication for antibiotics. Antibiotics are only indicated in the presence of active infection.

In your case, there may be an underlying infection for which antibiotics must have been started. The usual course of antibiotics for urinary tract infection is 14 days. Please do not discontinue the antibiotics without discussing your doctor regarding the reason why antibiotics were prescribed.

If you are worried about flare up of fungal infection while on antibiotics, you can take probiotic supplements to prevent it.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal