Are antibiotics effective for treating sore throat and cough despite taking Pulmicort and undergoing nebulizer?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi - I started with a sore throat, post nasal drip, fatigue, and chills 10 days ago. By day 5 I was feeling better, and I resumed my normal activities including going to the gym. On day 6, however, I had return of my same sore throat from post nasal drip and progressed to increased drainage and pain in the throat, chills, congestion, and now cough. I am having trouble sleeping. I have been on pulmicort the whole time as I have asthma with bad colds, a nasal steroid, lots of saline through the nose, and some decongestants here and there. Today I received a nebulizer treatment at my allergists office and felt less tight. My doctor also gave me a prescription for an antibiotic but told me to wait a couple days. The sore throat pain is unbearable at times and the drainage and cough, as well. Is it reasonable to start taking an antibiotic at this stage? "

Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Start the antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:

I read carefully the history you provide

In my opinion, if you were my patient I would recommend you to start the antibiotic. It is not worth waiting any more.

In such conditions probably a superimposed of bacteria has happened.

I am sure you will feel better after 2-3 days of antibiotic use.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Thank you,
I just took it. I’m always worried about developing resistance to antibiotics in general so I delay. Also, I didn’t have a fever so it didn’t seem clear as to whether I should take it? I am taking Biaxin and hoping that will work quickly. Now i just to figure out how to sleep.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Continue discussion.

Detailed Answer:

Antibiotics are needed absolutely no worries about resistance.
Sleep as you want or ad you feel comfortable.

Brief Answer:

Follow-up.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you can take antihistamines like Desloratadine once daily before sleep, steroid inhalers and topical spray steroids for the nose too without problem.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 3 hours later
One last question! Would you recommend taking an antihistamine with the antibiotic and nasal steroid and inhaled steroid - I have so much post nasal drip it’s gagging me.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi again-
I have a medication question. I’ve been on Biaxin an antibiotic for three days for sinusitis and I just started a supplement called Quercetin today to help with inflammation. I took the last 400 mg of quercetin at 6:30 pm (1st at 1 pm) and was supposed to take another antiobiotic At 7:30 pm but I happened to discover online that this supplement may interfere with this antibiotic, because of the way they are both metabolized in the liver, making the antibiotic have longer and stronger effect in the body. Should o skip the next dose of antibiotic? Not sure how long the quercetin stays in my system? Advice appreciated.