Are antibiotics, compression dressings and VAC effective at treating leg ulcers?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: My mother is undergoing ulcer treatment in legs. After doing debridement , now healing is happening. she was on VAC but that was removed due to excessive bleeding . During this the ulcer has got infected . Doctor has started antibiotics and has done compression dressing. if this does not work, he plan a to restart VAC. is this right way of treating?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Please give additional information. Needs treatment of the cause

Detailed Answer:

Noted the history about your mother and understood the concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Since when is the problem present?

Is she suffering from Varicose veins and/or any other medical problems?

Please post clear and focused photos.

From the history, this seems to be a varicose ulcer and if this is so your Mother requires proper clinical and colour Doppler evaluation, medical fitness, and proper management of the causative factor for the secondary problem of ulcer and its complications to be treated properly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
She has been suffering from Varicose Veins. This is since about 3 years . Since Ulcers developed on both legs , she went for compression bandaging with specialist in this field . one of the ulcers healed but other got infected. so debridement of ulcer and varicose veins surgery was done in January first week. After that she was on VAC initially. Then it is as per description in my earlier question. I am not having photos .
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Once a proper surgery has been done for varicose veins and ulcers, the healing occurs well.

Recurrence or persistence indicate that there may be still leaking valves in the venous system and hence a review color doppler of the affected lower limb with necessary definitive treatment is the best answer.

VAC should be re-started.
Please go for it.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 11 minutes later
Noted. Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Thanks for your appreciation.

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr T Chandrakant, General Surgeon