question-icon

Are antibiotics advisable for dry cough, post nasal drip and sore throat?

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: yes, I have a dry cough, post nasal drip and slight sore throat. Phlegm is green when it comes up. Should I get an antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
not necessarily

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The green mucus in itself does not necessarily mean that a bacterial infection is present and antibiotics are required.
Green or yellow mucus is actually due to the presence of white blood cells (part of the blood that respond to inflammation or infection).
The white blood cells contain chemicals that can cause the green color.

If you notice a persisting fever or the symptoms lasts for more than 2 to 3 weeks, this may indicate antibiotics are needed for an infection

Treatment would now include- anti histamines/decongestant combination (eg zyrtec d, claritine d, benadryl d, allegra d) and a pain killer for the sore throat if needed

If the use of the above does not help the cough then a cough suppressant can be added.

These are all over the counter

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James