Are anabolic steroids effective in treating pulled muscle?

Posted on Wed, 31 Dec 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a pulled hamstring. I have a race in January - I'm looking for a prescription for the most effective anobolic to speed the recovery. and now my back is out. Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anabolic steroids will not help.

Detailed Answer:
Taking anabolic steroids will not help in recovery of pulled muscle. People who don't warm up and stretch properly before moving their muscles,have increased chances of injury.
Doing too much,too soon and too fast creates problem
Treatment is done by
Rest
Icing of hamstrings
If pain,take anti inflammatory drugs and local gel. Do get muscle relaxants prescribed. Online prescriptions are not legal.
Stretching of hamstrings by pulling both legs towards chest with hands below knees
Full recovery takes 3 to 6 weeks.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
Got it.

I understand how a pull occurs and in this case it was not the result of not stretching or warming up.

Started with acupuncture (this is absolute magic) I've iced, used compression wraps, wet heat and heat cream at this point.
I take ibuprofen once a day at night to minimize inflammation from the day.
I have started light stretching, but now my back has gone out due to the favoring of the leg.

If a steroid will not speed up the process, then:
1. What do I eat?
2. Is there another drug that I can use?
3. Any additional information that you can provide to speed up the healing process.

Waiting and lack of activity is not an option.

Appreciate your help!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Eat magnesium rich foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium. It will help in an early recovery.
Doing regular physiotherapy and a hot compress at least thrice a day will help.
Rest is the best way of proper healing but it is not an option for you.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon