Are abdominal pain, diarrhoea and chills symptoms of HIV?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: About a year and a half ago I had an HIV exposure, I've been tested at least 5 times the latest being two months ago and have been told I did not contract HIV. A few months after the exposure I started having stomach pain, irregular bowels (mostly diarrhea), my arms and legs seem to be somewhat twitching and shakey and I often wake up feeling really hot and sometimes sweaty. My face and stomach are always really warm in addition to what feels like a never ending bubble in my stomach. My gums even started to recede. I've seen my doctor who thinks its my diet and my dentist seem to think im over brushing. Please give me your opinion as I feel it's more than a diet change.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV tests remain negative after 12 weeks, not to worry about HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
If the HIV tests remain non-reactive even after 3 months of post exposure then there is no possibility of HIV for you through that contact. Just forget the same.
Regarding your symptoms, they can occur to anybody even in the absence of HIV. Your physician and the dental surgeon are the right persons to solve your problem. Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
So no ideas if what it may be? Im guessing this is a never ending problem?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A dentist and a physician can solve your problem

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Your problem is not a never ending problem. They are not related to HIV as you are free from HIV.
A physician or a gastroenterology will definitely be able to cure the stomach problem and the dentist can solve the problem of your gum. Nothing to worry.
Dr S Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina