Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Are abdominal aneurysms a matter of concern?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
i have a abdominial aneurysms that was found while doing a ultra sound. The test was in Feb. of 2014. It was 3cm in size. When should I have it checked again and what do I need to do. what are symptoms of it getting worse.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
This is small aneurism and risk of rupture is negligible. There is no need for treatment until it reaches 5cm and it is not likely that it will be symptomatic before 5cm in size. Most aneurisms grow only about 10mm a year so surgery may not be necessary at all. It is recommended to do ultrasound once or twice a year at this point and if rapid grow is detected,you should do ct aortography. Usual symptoms of aneurism emergencies are pain in abdomen,low bp, fatigue and dyspnea. But as i said it rarely occurs in such small aneurisms. Just regulate you blood pressure and have those ultrasound follow ups and nothing will suprise you. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor