Are abdominal aneurysms a matter of concern?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i have a abdominial aneurysms that was found while doing a ultra sound. The test was in Feb. of 2014. It was 3cm in size. When should I have it checked again and what do I need to do. what are symptoms of it getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to hcm

Detailed Answer:
This is small aneurism and risk of rupture is negligible. There is no need for treatment until it reaches 5cm and it is not likely that it will be symptomatic before 5cm in size. Most aneurisms grow only about 10mm a year so surgery may not be necessary at all. It is recommended to do ultrasound once or twice a year at this point and if rapid grow is detected,you should do ct aortography. Usual symptoms of aneurism emergencies are pain in abdomen,low bp, fatigue and dyspnea. But as i said it rarely occurs in such small aneurisms. Just regulate you blood pressure and have those ultrasound follow ups and nothing will suprise you. Wish you good health. Regards