Are a big bruise on the hip and painful walk due to sudden jerk indicative of hip fracture?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The other day I had my slipper on and was going to the bathroom. I tried to kick it off but it wouldn'come off so I gave it a strong kick and as I did I heard a crack and felt it in my hip. At first it was terrible pain and as I sat down for a few minutes it kind of eased up so I tired to stand but had my walker with me so as long as I could balance both feet it seemed to ease. This morning when I took a shower I noticed a great big bruise on my hip. I still am jinjlery walking on it withmy walker very sore but not what I thought a broken hip would be any thoughts? XXXXXXX Maltby Ogden, Utah,
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
muscle tear

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms it does not seem to be a fracture or a bony injury.Most probably,it seems to be a muscular tear due to sudden jerk at the hip level.

As long as you can walk on the affected limb,there hardly are any chances of an underlying fracture.

Tear (partial or complete) in the muscle substance will lead to a big bruise at the affected area.

Taking anti inflammatory tablets like paracetamol,tramadol and fibrinolytic enzymes like trypsin,chymotrypsin should help.

If the pain does not subside or if the bruise increases,then you should consult an orthopaedic surgeon and get an Xray/MRI of the hip done to rule out a hairline fracture.

Application of local heparin ointments over the bruise will reduce the bruise.

Avoid weight bearing on the affected limb,squatting and climbing stairs as far as possible

I hope the answer was useful.

Take care,
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana