Are Zifi syrup and Crocin DS recommendable for stomach infection?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 6 yr old son vomited last night and had fever..stomach ache and loose motions in the morning..probable a stomach infection..I'm gang him zifi 100 syrup..on demand syrup and crocin DS..IS IT FINE?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be viral diarrhea - No need for antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics like Zifi... unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 15 minutes later
can he be given crocin DS if he has fever?and how many days will it tk to get completely alright as I gv him zifi and crocin in the mrng and now at night but the fever is still there
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

1. You can give crocin DS for fever. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

2. It will take 3-4 days to settle down.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth