Are Vraylar, Risperdal and Clozapine effective at treating schizophrenic's negative symptoms?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 24 Oct 2017 in Mental Health
Question: i am shizophrenic iam in abilify 20 mg solotik 200g.but i suffer from negative symptoms.O do i tell my doctor to change medications. i hear about new drug vraylar is effective for negative symptoms. does risperdal or clozapine are also effective in negative symptoms? if yes how much effect vraylar,riisperdal, clozapine and abilify
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Amisulpride has great efficacy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. You are on Solotik 200 mg and Abilify 20 mg and these are good medicines for psychotic symptoms and depression. If your negative symptoms are still persisting then we can think of other antipsychotics like Amisulpride or Levosulpride.

The drugs have great efficacy in negative symptoms of schizophrenia and have good efficacy in depression too. Clozapine can become a good option too, but the drug should be reserved for resistant symptoms. So in my opinion you should give Amisulpride a try and if no improvement is seen then we can think of starting Clozapine.

Thanks.

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 13 minutes later
risperdal is good and u want to tell me about each improvement for each drug vraylar,clozapine and risperdal and abilify as studies? i go to the internet but i dont understand medical language very much
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clozapine has high efficacy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Risperidone is also a second generation antipsychotic drug. The drug has great efficacy in controlling positive symptoms of psychosis but has limited efficacy in negative symptoms. This is based upon my clinical experience.

Vraylar is Cariprazine and is also an atypical antipsychotic drug. The drug recently got FDA approval and in initial studies found to have good efficacy. The drug is also relatively safer if metabolic side effects and also EPS are considered.

Clozapine is also an atypical antipsychotic drug. The drug has great efficacy in positive and also in negative symptoms. But the drug has high metabolic side effects and risk of agranulocytosis.

Abilify is also a second generation antipsychotic drug. The drug is safe to use and have less metabolic side effects.

Thanks.

If you want to know more please ask again.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 43 minutes later
i will tell my doctor to change medication into amisulpride.u have an idea vrayalar(cariprazine) when is available in lebanon approximately