Are Vasograin tablets taken before 8 weeks of pregnancy harmful to fetus?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is pregnant,but she took 5 tablets of vasograin during 1 and 2nd month.
Will there be any effect on the foetus
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its contraindicated

Detailed Answer:

Vasograin tabs are contraindicated in early pregnancy. However 5 tabs per se shouldn't be affecting the foetus unless it would have been regularly used since long for migraine. If there has been no bleeding or any features of missed abortion, you should continue the pregnancy with regular folic acid tab intake. Any chances of anomalies if present can be picked at various levels of ultrasound and if there is any defect then necessary action with regards to termination can be taken then.

Please avoid the user of vasograin tablets subsequently.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 39 minutes later
Also she is now in 16th week of pregnancy.I missed to mention it in my query earlier
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems foetus is safe from vasograin effect...as growing well

Detailed Answer:
As she is 16th week pregnant, then i feel that vasograin hasn't had any effect on the foetus as foetus has been growing well.
Moreover the level 2 scan which is due in next 3 weeks now shall rule out any structural defect in the foetus if at all it has occurred in any case.
So presently no real need to be worried.
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist