Are Safed Musli capsules advisable?

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Does musli pills really work.Or would you recommend them

tried over the counter enhancement pills.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

I did some searching about Safed Musli herbal supplements.

Research so far has been limited to animal studies - nothing done with humans so far, so there is no dosage recommendation, and we don't know what side effects it might have.

There have been some studies done in animals that suggest it might have anti-inflammatory effects. It might also have some effects similar to the male hormone testosterone, but this is only very preliminary research. Again - no reliable research in humans.

So that is what I found and now I'll give you my take on this as a physician. I haven't seen this substance used, but I have had male patients use unregulated herbals for the purpose of increasing or simulating testosterone who get hormonally messed up from them.

If your reason for considering it is that you feel your testosterone is low, best to go to your doctor, describe your concerns, and ask for a testosterone level to be tested. If the problem is increased fatigue, checking your thyroid hormone level and a CBC (complete blood count) would be useful too. And then supplementation can be done according to what those blood tests show.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh