Are SGPT level of 71 and SGOT of 63 a cause for concern?

Question
my SGPT level is71 & sgot is 63. my total cholesterol level is normal and Iam not using alcohol for the last three months.Iam using cholesterol tablet 'Rose day 5mg in alternate days.My blood test result is attaching. Is there any medical problem? what is its reason? Do I need to consult a doctor?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
SGPT and SGOT in your case are mildly elevated- see further advise

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The SGPT you are having is mildly elevated. Most labs say it should not be more than 40 and yours is close to twice as much but still is considered mild elevation. Generally we do not get worried or investigate further unless it is more than 3 times the norm meaning at least 120 mg/dl. SGOT is also mildly elevated and the same as SGPT it should be over 100 before we consider examinations to find the cause of it.

On the other hand if you have never had tests to rule out hepatitis B and C this would be a good opportunity to be checked and make sure.
Also the drugs you use for the cholesterol can cause damage to the liver and increase SGPT & SGOT.

I would recommend you to talk with the doctor that gives you the cholesterol medications and see the chance that this elevation might be related to the medication or not. The best way to know this is to stop the medication for 1-2 months and check SGPT&SGOT, if it goes back to normal levels than it is related to the medication and your doctor has to think of other therapeutic options for the cholesterol.

What do you mean with you are not drinking the last 3 months. How was it previous to that? How much would you drink in a day? Drinking more than 3 drinks a day can cause liver damage that sometimes might not be reversible and changes might be found even months later. If you have not been drinking more than 3 drinks a day there is nothing to worry with liver damage from alcohol.

So to conclude i would say:
- the increase of SGPT & SGOT is still considered mild and might not be something to worry
- still ruling out chronic hepatitis B of C would be a good idea to be on the safe side
- stopping cholesterol medication for a couple of months would answer the question if it is related to the medication

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD