Are Protein supplements safe to take for weight gain?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello, I'm 26 year old, male, 52kg. I had a kidney transplant 10 years ago. I'm not able to gain weight. Even after eating thrice a day. Can I take protien supplements at the gym ? Also my creatinine level is 2.1
Or what can I do to gain weight. I feel uncomfortable and morally demitavted to do anything. Please help me out.

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read ypour response.
I think I can help you.
I would however like to consider the medicines that you are already taking.
I would therefore need you to send me the list of the medicines that you are taking with the exact dose.
I will thereafter try me best to help you with your problem.
Thanking you.
Dr S Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 29 minutes later
I'm taking the following medicines on a daily basis.
1. Pangraf - 1mg morning , 0.5mg at night.
2. Celcept 500- 1tab morning, 1 tab evening
3. Prednisone 5mg - 1 tab a day.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Part of side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have read your response.
This is what I was suspecting.
I feel the symptoms that you are facing are largely a part of the side effects that you are taking.
Unfortunately, you will need to take the medicines in view of the renal surgery.
However you may meet your nephrologist/immunologist to reduce the dosage of the medicines if possible.
As for protein, I would not suggest ot as a rising creatinine means that the kidney is still compromised and the protein intake may actually cause more damage.
Please feel free to ask a follow on query on any part of my response that you feel needs clarification.
Best of luck,Dr Mittal