Are Probiotics safe to take for gas and constipation?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: HI,
I HAVE A BIG BELLY CAN I USE SOMETHING FOR PROBIOTICS, IT IS BIGGER SOMETIMES IT SEEMS GAS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM, I TAKE MIRALAX BECAUSE I GET CONSTIPATED FROM MY PAIN PILLS I TAKE FOR CHRONIC PAIN
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and diet lifestyle changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concnern. With strong pain killers specially opioids like methadone , bowel movement reduce and age related bowel decline also happen, so that all together have led to this bloating and distension. Its due to insufficient bowel peristalsis to propagate the content in it leading to swelling.

Treatment is supportive. Modify diet and lifestyle. Eat small frequent meals, avoid dairy products, fatty foods, spices, processed & canned foods, coffee, alcohol, beverages, soda, chocolate etc. Prefer fresh fruits and vegetables, diet rich in fiber. Use yogurt and peppermint in every meal as probiotic and antispasmodic supplement. Adapt good toilet habit. And last but not the least, yes you can use probiotics as well but yogurt is the best natural probiotic. Use morning time after breakfast for toilet and resist the urge to defecate rest of the day.

Use laxatives as per need basis only and drink enough fluids, minimum 3 litres in a day.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan